Some Facts about Åland Islands and their extension, a .ax domain Name
- The .ax country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) is an extension that represents Åland Islands.
- Aland Islands is an autonomous province of Finland, where the official language is Swedish.
- The .ax domain registration is a great way to show your presence in the region.
- The .ax domain name is internet country code Top domain level of the Åland Islands, and a necessary domain name was introduced in 2006.
- Before 2006, this country was being forced to use Finland subdomain and it was .aland.fi.
After some time, Åland Island’s needed its own domain name, and in February of 2006., Finland approved .ax domain name, which had to endure Finnish moderation of the country laws.
- From February 2006. until September 2016, a whole decade passed by, .ax domain name had its purpose only in Aland Islands, until the year of 2016. when they got the permission to sell everywhere they wanted in the world.
- At the customer’s request, the registrar shall register the domain name in the Government of Åland domain name Registry, update the domain name, renew the validity of the domain name, change the domain name registrar, transfer the domain name to another holder and remove the domain name from domain name registrar if domain expires.
- Also worth mentioning is that transferring those domains is possible with Auth-Code.
Holders of domain names registered before September 5th, 2016., belongs to the government registrar. The government registrar is aiming all holders to transfer their domain names to ax-registrars. The government registrar doesn’t accept new registrations and handles only the Governments own domain names.
One of the most important changes, made after September the 5th,2016., was that new obligation that states that Domain Name Registrars must ensure the security of information of their customers, thus fore, your domain name as well.
They are pretty rigid regarding this rules, that they made a fine selection of registrars, who are allowed to sell a .ax domain names.
Are Individual .ax domain registrations allowed?
The answer is – yes, anyone can register .ax domain name. You don’t need to be resident to be able to buy this extension.
Are companies or legal entities registrations allowed for a .ax?
Yes, of course, they can, if needed. In one of the sections of the Information Society Code, a domain name holder can be anyone, except legal person’s, .ax domain holder can also be large or small Business as well as other government or non-government associations, with no limitation.
Are there requirements, documents, or information needed to register .ax domain name?
This extension can be registered to a user who is a legal person, a business operator, an individual or other association.
Anyone who wishes to register a .ax-domain name can turn to any .ax-registrar of their own choice.
To get better understanding of such high prices of those domain names ( which goes up to 124 euros ), we have to keep in mind that Åland Islands have unique location, special Tax paying zone, and very stable economy based on tradings, shipping, and tourism, therefore, it’s quite useful to have established Åland -based business, if your online presence is needed there.
That’s the main reason for prices to vary when buying this domain name.
And, very important thing, that was said earlier about those domain names is that they are strict regarding domain names. They CAN NOT conflict with well-known trademarks!
In a question of a period of registration .ax domain name?
The bare minimum for registration is 1 ( one ) year period. You can buy it one year at the time, or pay in advance, for the maximum time of 5 ( five ) years.
Registrars will get you better conditions if you buy more than one year, but it does depend on the registrar.
How long will I have to wait till I can register my .ax domain name?
The registration period ( on which you have no say at all ) is about a month, but the fact is that it doesn’t last that long, as soon as they verify that your chosen domain name doesn’t conflict with a well-known trademark, you’ll be able to register a domain in a short time.
Meaning that if you don’t have any obstacle with the domain name, you can own your .ax domain in less than one day.
What are the characters and their length regarding the .ax domain registration?
Allowed characters in this extension are:
- minimum of 2 and maximum of 63 characters;
- letters from A-Z;
- numbers from 0 to 9;
- other characters are eg å, ä, ö;
- As they must begin with a letter or a number, a .ax domain can NOT begin or end with hyphen or minus sign;
- this extension cannot start with the characters XN–;
- a domain name can NOT have spacing between letters/numbers ( eg. www.st o.ax );
Is there Trustee Service for .ax domain names?
Unfortunately, there are no trustee services for .ax domains. But if you already have, or attend to buy .ax extension, there are some great news for you.
Since September 2016. anyone can register .ax domain name, and the only information they will display about you is your first and last name, and just an ID number for companies and businesses.
How do I host my new .ax domain name?
When you choose a domain name, be sure to keep your hosting services and domain name with the same Registrar, which care about the satisfaction of its clients. At the least find out about satisfactory of clients, when choosing hosting services. Someone with the good reputation, and good reviews, because they respond the quickest, and charge the least for the number of services they provide.
The point is having both services at one place so, you can manage them with ease. Especially in cases where you don’t quite understand rules, your chosen Registrar will help you with the management of your new domain name.
Can I transfer my domain if I’m using Trustee Service, or in some countries called ID. protection?
Domains that have this service, can NOT be transferred. If you are using this service, you must update ownership according to .ax domain name rules, before you even start the transferring process.
When you finish with unlocking the domain name and rest pre-transfer action, your domain will be ready for transfer.
Between those few rules are also these ones:
– request the new registrar to obtain a registrar transfer key from the old
– request the registrar transfer key to be released from the old registrar in
person and submit it to the new registrar.
All of the above must be in written form, so the transfer can be excepted.
Registrar of the old domain holder must ensure, that the holder of a new domain name registrar has the right to request transfer key, which must be submitted 5 ( five ) days after the legitimate transfer was initiated.